Sunday, June 6, 2010
Being in the IT field, I try my best to help others build certain simple IT solutions in their home. One such requirement was to setup a wireless ADSL modem router, in my in-laws house. Having a wireless Streamyx ADSL router modem, would allow wireless laptops, PCs, and IPhones in the household, to be able to access Internet directly , wirelessly & easily. That wireless modem router modem would be connected to a telephone line which has been registered for the Telekom Malaysia Internet ADSL Streamyx line.
I did a search on which brand of wireless router modem to buy , on the Internet. I stumbled upon the list of Telekom Malaysia certified Streamyx DSL modems (see link below) .
Based on the list , I decided to buy the Dlink DSL-2640T Wireless G ADSL2+ Router (RM169.00), as I have experience in using Dlink products, and I feel they are a reliable brand for home use IT products market.
Dlink DSL-2640T Wireless G ADSL2+ Router
- 4 LAN ports ( for physical network cable connection to PCs, laptops, etc )
- 1 tel line port
- ADSL2+ provides a dedicated service over a single telephone line operating at speeds of up to 24Mbps downstream and up to 1Mbps upstream ( adequate in terms of Streamyx ADSL line )
- built-in firewall for security ( I would recommend using PC firewalls rather than the Dlink firewall, easier to manage & troubleshoot by users)
- easy to install with manual & wizards
- web based setting page - can set wireless access password in WEP, WPA & WPA2 encryption protocols
- Streamyx ADSL modulation uses G.dmt, and this modulation has full rate downstream: up to 8 Mbps / upstream: up to 1 Mbps ( able to support speeds of up to 8Mbps, but actual speed is limited , or depends on Streamyx package)
- has QOS support (Quality of Service) which allows bandwidth allocation to specific users, to ensure fair line bandwidth usage & no line monopoly by one user (complicated to set, for normal users).
The screenshots below shows settings in the DLink DSL2640T for a typical home Streamyx line ( dynamic IP, using streamyx ID & password ). This setting below uses PPPoE/PPPoA mode (and not Bridge mode like old Streamyx modems), which does not require users to use any Streamyx dialer software to run & connect to Internet. You can connect to Internet the same way as in outside wireless hotspots like Starbucks , Secret recipe, and petrol stations.
Streamyx modem setup steps :
Streamyx modem setup steps - list of default passwords
List of Telekom Streamyx certified DSL modems :
Setting for Dlink DSL2640T to use home Streamyx (1/3)
Setting for Dlink DSL2640T to use home Streamyx (2/3)
Setting for Dlink DSL2640T to use home Streamyx (3/3)